Technicolor Line: A New Episode

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Meeting Kuya Bay

Kahlil Gibran You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give

From the College of Arts and Letters, some of us first year students went to New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City last Tuesday for our exposure trip in Sociology class. The day patterned the promise I told myself. I won't let my own life be unlived.

I've been thinking for quite a long time the right organization I can engage in. One reason that it will matter a lot to me if I become present at the lives of these people who really need me. And, to develop a wonderful connection with them and arrive at the worthy part of them realizing that they have obtained their hope through me.

"My name is Edgardo," my inmate said. I prefer his nickname more which is Bay. Specific questions came out from my mouth as my fear that nervousness can limit the lengthening of my interaction with him. Something happened. The stillness of his face and the calmness on his eyes moved the unnatural state of mine. The power of love resulted to awareness and strength. I found myself ready to listen on his sentiments.

He then narrated what happened the night he had committed the crime. My heart swayed with his story that caused discomfort around my chest. Yes for me, he is a good man. I have determination upon believing my judgment. I won't be needing strong faith to support my statement, for faith alone can do a deal with what I consider to be true.

As our conversation extended, he told me how his life went like when he wasn't in jail yet. He revealed to me memories concerning his wife and two very young daughters of him.

Two very young daughters-a signal for profundity. Two very young daughters visualized on my memory the face of my own father and the early days my sister and I shared with him. Two very young daughters helped me recall each tear that dropped from my father's eyes during times he had to leave the country for work. Two very young daughters recollected each attempt of escape I had in the past wherein every time I would utter goodbye to my father at the airport, I would quickly walk toward our car to hide aching tears on my eyes that can expose the fragile part of mine. Tears caused a blurry vision but never did they wash away hope in me.

Grey hair may have already appeared on my father's head to declare that time has been consumed. Now, we are no longer young daughters. We've turned out to be ladies brought up with values instilled on us. Nothing has changed, only that there are added extras. More inspiring and moving experiences teach us on how we are to live now.

Me: Huwag na po kayo malungkot, pwede niyo po ako maging anak. Kaso, kunwari yung lumaki niyo ng anak na babae.

Kuya Bay: Salamat. Yung mata mo, tinitingan ko pa lang, Ayie, alam ko mabait ka.

Mag-aral kang mabuti. Sobrang maasikaso ka sa akin kahit ganyan ang estado niyo. Hindi ka ba natatakot?

Me: Alam niyo, kung paano mo daw itrato ang mas nakabababa sa'yo nakikita ang tunay na pagkatao ng tao. Kung nandyan kayo ngayon, makakaasa kayo, ipagdadasal ko kayo.

Kuya Bay: Simula nung Abril hindi na sila bumusita ulit. Nagdadasal pa rin ako gabi-gabi. Sa ngayon, eto yung dasal na alam ko, pinakinggan. Salamat, andyan ka.

I again witnessed tears from a (powerfully built) father's eyes.

Whenever a person talks to me seriously, saying my name Ayie makes my heart to become softer. He said it. The conversation turned to be in a sincere manner. When he told me that I am the answered prayer from God, it somehow resolved my longing and hunger in life.

He brushed those tears and went on eating the chicken joy I gave him for lunch. Now, he may be working for the photo frame he promised to give me as his present for me someday.

An experience no matter how cruel could make us great.

People in Bilibid also prepared great perfomances for us. They showed power through singing, dancing and acting. We students also arranged ourselves and likewise, each class must give an incredible presentation. Before our blockmate Yohann (with the amazing voice) sang, I played the drums together with my blockmate A. He was on the keyboard. We did the "instrumental" version of the song Rainbow by Southborder. A is a gifted boy, to tell you all. I haven't been playing the drums for quite a long time since my drumset is in Cavite. Maybe it's the sudden rush of enthusiasm and yes, my extreme longing to play again that set my mood to actually play and forget all worried feelings. I used my style to bring the instrument into its life. The crowd was good and I'm thankful for that.

3 Comments:

  • college of arts and letters? now i know how u make such good and sensible writings.

    keep it up dude :)

    By Blogger pob's, at 12:47 pm  

  • touching someone's life is truly a beautiful experience. with my course, i have numerous experiences with strangers in need but i dont think i have touched someone as strongly as you did. you're a blessed person. :)

    and wow, you play drums? astig! it has always been my favorite instrument but i never learned how to play it. girls who can play drums rock! :)

    By Blogger Lica, at 10:52 am  

  • grabe! naiyak ako sa meme mo. you haven't only touched the life of kuya bay but also those reading your blog, myself included. keep on touching other people's lives.

    Merry Christmas! :)

    By Blogger tin-tin, at 4:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home